West Nile Virus Confirmed in Mosquitoes from Westborough (Summer 2009)
[Though you may have already heard about this, we'd like to archive this information on our site for future reference - webmaster]
DATE: August 14, 2009 CONTACT: Paul McNulty
TOWN: Westborough TELEPHONE: 508-366-3045
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) announced today that West Nile virus (WNV) has been detected in mosquitoes collected from Westborough, Massachusetts. In 2008, 4,575 mosquito samples throughout Massachusetts were tested for WNV and 136 samples were positive. There were no positive mosquito samples identified in Westborough in 2008.
WNV is most commonly transmitted to humans by the bite of a mosquito infected with the virus. While WNV can infect people of all ages, people over the age of 50 are at higher risk for severe infection.
By taking a few, common-sense precautions, people can help to protect themselves and their loved ones:
Avoid Mosquito Bites
- Be Aware of Peak Mosquito Hours - The hours from dusk to dawn are peak biting times for many mosquitoes. Consider rescheduling outdoor activities that occur during evening or early morning. Otherwise, take extra care to use repellent and protective clothing.
- Clothing Can Help reduce mosquito bites. Although it may be difficult to do when it’s hot, wearing long-sleeves, long pants and socks when outdoors will help keep mosquitoes away from your skin.
- Apply Insect Repellent when you go outdoors. Use a repellent with DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide), permethrin, picaridin (KBR 3023), IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus [p-methane 3, 8-diol (PMD)] according to the instructions on the product label. DEET products should not be used on infants under two months of age and should be used in concentrations of 30% or less on older children. Oil of lemon eucalyptus should not be used on children under three years of age. Permethrin products are intended for use on items such as clothing, shoes, bed nets and camping gear and should not be applied to skin.
Mosquito-Proof Your Home
- Drain Standing Water - Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. Limit the number of places around your home for mosquitoes to breed by either draining or getting rid of items that hold water. Check rain gutters and drains. Empty any unused flowerpots and wading pools, and change water in birdbaths frequently.
- Install or Repair Screens - Some mosquitoes like to come indoors. Keep them outside by having tightly-fitting screens on all of your windows and doors.
While the Westborough Board of Health continues to work closely with the MDPH and other agencies, locally we are working with the Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project (508-393-3055) to control mosquitoes in town.
Information about WNV and reports of WNV activity in Massachusetts during 2009 can be found on the MDPH website at www.mass.gov/dph under A for arbovirus in the Health Topics A to Z index. Recorded information about WNV is also available by calling the MDPH Public Health Information Line at 1-866-MASS-WNV (1-866-627-7968).
[ content accessed 8/25/2009 5:07 PM from "West Nile Virus" link at http://www.town.westborough.ma.us/Public_Documents/WestboroughMA_BBoard/026496D6-000F8513 ]Add a comment
2009 Westborough Fall Baseball Little League
2009 WESTBOROUGH FALL BASEBALL
Westborough Little League Fall Ball
Sign Up Now!
Westborough Little League is proud to announce Fall Baseball for the 2009 Season. Fall Ball is open to all kids with birth dates between 5/1/1997 and 4/30/2001. There will be two separate divisions, one for ages 9 & 10 year olds and the other for 11& 12 year olds (based on their “Little League” age for the 2010 spring season).
Division - (Birth Dates)
9 & 10 year old - (5/1/1999 to 4/30/2001)
11 & 12 year old - (5/1/1997 to 4/30/1999)
The season will start on September 11th and end on October 18th.
On-Line registration is open now and will end August 22nd.
- This is the only way to sign up for this league.
- Go to www.westborolittleleague.org and click on fall ball registration
- Registration fee is $75.00 per player with an early sign up discount price of $60.00 per player with registrations paid by August 15th!
The fall league is designed for all to have a good time.
- There are no standings, no trophies. This season is intended to be all about fundamentals and FUN!
- All efforts have been made to avoid conflicts with other fall sports (no pressure to make every game).
- All games to be played at Target Field on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons
- 90 minute maximum time per game.
If you have any questions, please contact Craig Nichols at (508) 353-0946See you on the diamond in September! Add a comment
Come see the BoroughTones! Summer Jamboree 09 Fri July 31
Ten alumni of Westborough High School assembled this summer as "The BoroughTones" - the premier a cappella group in Westborough! Bringing their talents and experiences from a hugely varied background of collegiate a cappella, and sharing their history in WHS's male a cappella group "Members Only," the guys have been singing around the community all summer at various open mics and whatever venues they can find. From Disney to motown to Ben Folds to The Beatles, the guys sing it all!
Breakfast at Tiffanys
They decided it was time for a big summer-ending show, the BoroughTones Summer Jamboree will be:
Friday, July 31st at 7:30pm, doors opening at 7:00
Knights of Columbus Hall, 17 Willow Street, Westborough, MA 01581
Tickets $10 adults / $7 students / $5 children under 12
A large portion of the proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society. There will be a cash bar open until 12:30am.
Come out to see a good show and support a good cause!
Goodbye, My Coney Island BabyAdd a comment
Westborough Historical Society YARD SALE - Sat Jul 25 2009
Come stop by the Sibley House and browse for treasures new and old at the Westborough Historical Society's Yard Sale!
Place: 13 Parkman Street. (click for Google map)
Time: 9 AM - 1 PM.
Add a comment
Westborough Community Band Making Music July 31
The Westborough Community Band made their debut at the Westborough July 4th Block Party to rave reviews. The forty plus members from various towns sounded great playing patriotic songs for the audience. Led by Matthew Lefebvre, Westborough High School band teacher, it has become a reality in a short period of time.
The band is hard at work and ready for their second performance this summer. The concert will be held on Friday, July 31st from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Hastings School on East Main Street. The concert will be held outdoors on the grass for all to enjoy. The public is invited to grab a chair or blanket, bring a snack or supper and enjoy the sounds of summer.
Music to be performed will include the American Songbook and patriotic tunes.
The Board of Directors for the community band include Kathy Cincotta, Judith Wilchynski, Steve Masciarelli, Donna Kelly, Matt Lefebvre and Steve Hilton. The board is already planning concerts and venues for the summer of 2010. The musicians are students in grades 7 to 12 and adults of all ages. It is open to any musician willing to practice, enjoy the camaraderie of fellow musicians and ready to entertain. For information contact Kathy Cincotta at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictured (left to right): Kathy Cincotta, Judith Wilchynski, Steve Masciarelli, Donna Kelly, Matt Lefebvre and Steve Hilton.Add a comment
- Banning Dogs from the Park is Not the Answer
- Biking on Downtown Sidewalks - do the Selectmen care?
- Road Closing Notice: South St. Jul 22-24 2009
- Summer Storms and Flooding Hit Westborough (Or is that "Wet-borough?!")
- Annual July 4th Block Party 2009
- Wild July Storm
- Westborough Student Athletics 2009-2010 On-Line Registration now open
- Girl Scout Alumnae Invited to Camp Bonnie Brae's 90th anniversary
- Operatic Recital featuring Westborough's Karen Amlaw, soprano on Sun June 21
- Gibbons 8th Grade Dance changed to Wed Jun 24 2009
Page 62 of 76<< Start < Prev 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Next > End >>
Local Business Ads
21 November 2014
5K Walk & Run Fundraiser Sat, Nov 22 Details at: http://www.westboroughturkeytrot.org/ The Westborough Turkey Trot will be held on Saturday November 22, 2014 at 9am. It is designed to be a...
Wiley and the Hairy Man - Gibbons Middle School Theater Production
WHS Fall Theatre production: The Laramie Project Cycle
Seventh Annual TRIVIA BEE Monday, Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:30PM
Storm (Wind) Advisory - Oct 22, 2014
Luna's Magic Flute musical performance 08-Nov-2014
Public Access Cable TV Channels for Charter have changed (Fall 2014)